Date:      Mon, 15 Feb 2010 11:47:05 +0200
From:      Elias Chrysocheris <eliaschr@cha.forthnet.gr>
To:        freebsd-amd64@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Default partition size for root -- 512 to 1G

On Monday 15 of February 2010 03:04:21 Jason Chambers wrote:
> I just noticed due to the difference in size for an AMD64 kernel, "/" is
> over-utilized after compiling a custom kernel.  (kernel.old + kernel)
>
> Speaking only for amd64... seems it would be a good idea to tweak the
> default auto partitioning for "/" to 1 GB instead of 512MB.
>
> What do others think ?  Is a PR the appropriate avenue for feature
> requests ?
>

> Regards,
>
> --Jason

I believe you are right!. Actually I also use a boot partition of 1G, because
once, when I tried to build my own kernel, I ended up trying to install it,
but there was no space in the target partition. So I had to keep a backup copy
of the kernel.old and then recompile my new kernel without debug symbols
(removed the DEBUG=-g from the configuration file). Fortunately the new kernel
was small enough to fit in the empty space.
Since then I always make the boot partition of 1G size. Well, these days hard
disc space is very cheap, so I don't think this is a drawback!

Regards
Elias