Date:      Mon, 14 Aug 2000 21:23:07 -0400
From:      John Turner <john@drexeltech.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   HELP: connecting 2 servers via serial port

Hello -

I have a need for a (relatively) foolproof method of accessing a server
that is not available on the network.

The scenario is that I have pairs of servers in several different
locations.  Should one be unavailable to the network for whatever reason,
I'd like a convenient (and inexpensive) way to access the unavailable server.

My thoughts are to connect the two servers in each location with a null
modem cable, serial port to serial port.  If server A becomes unavailable
on the net for some reason, conceivably I could telnet into the other
server, and then communicate with the unavailable server via serial port
(maybe even getting it in console mode).

Does this sound plausible?  Any thoughts on how to go about it?  I realize
from recent posts on the list that I could probably use tip or something
similar to communicate over the serial ports, but I am concerned about
getty.  Does getty run on both serial ports by default?  What will happen
if there is a getty on each machine running on the serial ports?  I think
it will cause a race condition:

getty on server a:  login:
getty on server b:  thinks someone is trying to login using username of
"login:", replies with "password:"
getty on server a:  thinks someone is trying to login using username of
"password:", replies with "password:"
getty on server b:  thinks someone is trying to login using password of
"password:", replies with "login incorrect" etc

this would happen over and over and over, eventually both servers would be
doing nothing except firing getty requests at each other as fast as they could.

So, short of purchasing pricey terminal servers, can anyone help me out
with some ideas on how I can hook two servers together via serial cable as
a last resort type of access method?  Or should I just consider the idea
crazy and move on to something else?

Thanks in advance.

- John Turner