Date:      Thu, 13 Apr 2000 15:43:19 -0400
From:      Alan Clegg <abc@firehouse.net>
To:        Tim Pozar <pozar@lns.com>
Cc:        multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: noise reduction?

Out of the ether, Tim Pozar spewed forth the following bitstream:
> On Wed, Apr 12, 2000 at 10:33:57PM -0400, Alan Clegg wrote:
> > Ok, now that Tim (!!) has gotten most of my problems fixed, I'm to a point
> > that I'm just about ready.  Now I have a running stream, but it has a
> > constant hiss (I'm assuming from the noisy environment).

> This hiss is the scanner's squelch not gating all the way.  You
> could run a gate or an expander between the radio and the sound
> card.  This would silence the audio more between transmissions of
> the fire department.

Actually, the problem was solved by replacing the ESS ES1868 card with an
Equisonic (SoundBlaster) AudioPCI ES1371.  There are still some "daemon
balls" in the audio, but the 'between-transmission' slots are silence.

AlanC {come hear! http://fairview.firehouse.net and then follow the link}
--
                                      \             Alan B. Clegg
         Just because I can            \          abc@firehouse.net