Date:      Wed, 30 May 2001 19:19:12 -0600 (MDT)
From:      "Forrest W. Christian" <forrestc@imach.com>
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: fxp0 "sleeping" Problem (NOT NEW DRIVER RELATED)

This is a followup "It works now and this is what I did" message in
relation to this issue so it ends up archived and is searchable.

The problem below hasn't recurred for almost 7 days.

I did the following (obvious things):

1) Updated to latest version of -stable

2) Turned off APM on the second motherboard (I believe it was off in the
original motherboard which also had the problem, but I am not 100% sure).

3) Updated flash bios.  It had P03 and I updated it to P07.

4) Did a once-through in bios and insured everything was set correctly.  I
don't think I changed anything.  I did ensure PnP os was turned off and
reset the config stuff.

5) Disabled sound on motherboard.

6) Left "old" fxp0 driver in the kernel (non-mii)

Several people indicated that this might be caused also by a Denial of
Service attack of some sort.  I saw nothing in netstat to indicate this,
HOWEVER, I have no empirical evidence one way or another other than it
went away when I did the above items, and did not recur afterwards.

Will follow up if it reoccurs.