Date:      Wed, 6 Nov 2013 08:34:42 -0600
From:      "J. Porter Clark" <jpc2112@inbox.com>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 9.2 UFS + GELI softdep_deallocate_dependencies: unrecovered I/O error

On Sat, Oct 26, 2013 at 01:47:18PM +0400, Alexey Tarasov wrote:

> I've upgraded server to 9.2 and now it hangs every 2-3 hours
> of intensive I/O to UFS SUJ + GELI disk. On 9.1 everything was
> good for a half of a year.

I'm glad this is not just my problem.  I've been collecting data
on it for a couple of months and still can't figure out how to
fill out a bug report.  Too much data, so little of which is
potentially useful.

My situation is:

A Windows 7 PC running either Outlook 2010 or SCANPST.EXE
therefrom, attempting to "repair" a .pst file that will exceed
2^31-1 bytes on completion.

i386 9.2-STABLE server (currently r256846)
Samba 3.6
UFS (either 1 or 2)
GELI
GPT partition

No other combination can be made to produce this behavior.
In particular, changing from UFS to ZFS (even on this 2 GB
i386 system) fixes it.  I cannot reproduce the problem by
running a program on the server; apparently only smbd has the
necessary mojo.  Adding data authentication to GELI doesn't
help.  Tweaking block sizes in UFS or GELI doesn't help.
Turning off soft updates doesn't help.  Samba AIO is as off as I
can get it.

During the repair (writing) phase, the g_vfs_dones will hit, and
the system will be useless until either they stop or the system
panics--about equal likelihood.

> g_vfs_done():da1.eli[WRITE(offset=614630752256, length=32768)]error = 11

Oh, man, have I got a fine collection of these!

I'll try the tunable.  Seems odd that a tunable would fix it,
though.

Yes, it has driven me completely crazy.

--
J. Porter Clark      <jpc2112@inbox.com>