Date:      Tue, 13 May 2008 16:30:02 +0200
From:      Mel <fbsd.questions@rachie.is-a-geek.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, glyn@millingtons.org
Cc:        Kris Kennaway <kris@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Linux compat library error:  ELF file OS ABI invalid

On Tuesday 13 May 2008 15:48:58 Glyn Millington wrote:
> Mel <fbsd.questions@rachie.is-a-geek.net> writes:

> >> that include statement leads to /usr/X11R6
>
> Wow - can I just check that I have this right before I do it?!
>
> > Best fix:
> > rm /usr/X11R6
>
> get rid of /usr/X11R6, which on a system-wide basis is a link to /usr/local
>
> > touch /usr/X11R6
>
> Create an empty  *file* /usr/X11R6
>
> > chflags schg /usr/X11R6
>
> make it system-immutable
>
> > /sbin/ldconfig -m /usr/local/lib (just to force the linker to re-read the
> > dupes).
>
> Merge new stuf in the /usr/local/lib directory into the hints file
>
> > As a bonus, the old apps you still have pointing to /usr/X11R6
>
> But the app in question needs to get at
>
> /usr/compat/linux/usr/X11R6/

The app however looks for /usr/X11R6/lib/libXfoo.so.1. If both exist in base
system and linux emulation, then the linker will hand it the first one it
finds, which because of the /usr/X11R6 symlink to /usr/local will be the
FreeBSD one.
And yes, Kris, this isn't the 'proper' way, but it's the way that works. I'd
be happy to know the proper way as all suggestions I found about 'fixing'
linux ldconfig setup generated bogus results (ie. fixed nothing) and this
fixed everything.
I always suspected this to be because the linker look up is correct, but the
actual file is handed in the base system not in the /compat/linux chroot, but
I haven't bothered to verify that.

--
Mel

    and never get to the software part.