Date:      Fri, 26 Sep 1997 03:06:24 +0930
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        itojun@itojun.org
Cc:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>, mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Replacement dongle for 3C589?

> >Having just recovered my laptop after having had it stolen, I need to
> >replace the dongle off the 3C589.  I seem to recall stories about how
> >hard this is - what experiences have people had with this?
> >Anyone have a spare? 8)
>
> 	At some of the stores in Tokyo area, you can buy the attachment
> 	cable for 3c589C/D alone.
> 	(I believe you mean this by "dongle"...  I don't have "dongle" on my
> 	e-j dictionary)  Therefore, I believe you can order one to 3com.

A "dongle" is a highly technical term for a thing that hangs off the
end.  Yes, I mean the MAU for the '589.  8)

> 	However, the attachment cable costs almost $50, and brand-new
> 	ne2000-compatible PCMCIA card costs $70.  Which do you choose? :-)

Hmm.  Not so cheap here.  Prices in Australian Dollars; which of these
would you recommend for adventure?

NewMedia	$159 (BNC, TP)
Hypertec	$149 (BNC, TP)
D-Link		$138 (TP)
Alloy		$139 (BNC, TP)
Eagle		$119 (TP)
Socket		$119 (TP)
Topware		$139 (BNC)

(I haven't called 3Com, if indeed they have an Australian spares agent.)

mike