Date:      Sat, 16 Nov 2002 17:43:31 -0700 (MST)
From:      "M. Warner Losh" <imp@bsdimp.com>
To:        dillon@apollo.backplane.com
Cc:        bright@mu.org, nate@root.org, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: src/bin/sleep sleep.c

In message: <200211152017.gAFKHbFS044142@apollo.backplane.com>
            Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com> writes:
:     I think that should be a goal.  I think something like this:
:
:     USE_MINIC=YES	Link against the mini-C library.

I don't like this so much, but not enough to object to it be allowed,
but not default.  I don't see what it buys us in the dynamic case, but
if you sign up to support it long term I won't pitch a fit.  It will
likely only save a hundred or two k in the dynamic case, but maybe
there are some folks that might be able to use that.  My misgivings
are mostly based on there not being a clear target market for minic
and my experiences with making CF systems for the past 3 years...  I
think that the whole minic issue is orthoginal to the dynamic linking
of sbin/bin issue.

:     USE_SHARED_BIN=YES	Link against a shared libc or mini-C rather
: 			then linking statically.

Apart from the naming that doesn't really match the rest of the tree,
I like the latter. I'm assuming that you'll do the second of these
right by installing all the libraries that are needed for /{,s}bin
onto /lib, hacking ld.so, and creating a /rescue program like peter
described, I'm all for it.  If all you are doing is making them
shared, then we already have that (the NOSHARED=no option that has
worked since the 4.x days) and the option is of dubious value.

I personally thing that we should have a shared /{s,}bin in 5.0 and
that it should be the dafult and that it should work with / and /usr
being on different partitions.  Preliminary indications are that we'd
save on the order of 25M-30M on /, which makes up for the additional
kernel modules we now install.

Warner