Date:      Wed, 11 Nov 1998 02:52:35 +0300
From:      Dmitrij Tejblum <dima@tejblum.dnttm.rssi.ru>
To:        Eivind Eklund <eivind@yes.no>
Cc:        Gary Palmer <gpalmer@FreeBSD.ORG>, Alfred Perlstein <bright@hotjobs.com>, Phil Regnauld <regnauld@EU.org>, alk@pobox.com, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: The infamous dying daemons bug

Eivind Eklund wrote:
> > > /kernel: swap_pager: suggest more swap space: 254 MB
> >
> > John Dyson added this warning a few months ago, and the times that
> > I've seen it are when the machine *just* starts hitting swap space,
> > and is no-where near running out. No offense to John, but I don't
> > think that whatever algorythm he uses in generating that message is
> > anywhere near to being right, and I wonder what peoples opinions about
> > either hiding it behind bootverbose or removing it are?
>
> Based on my reading of the code (and I don't fully understand the VM
> code, so this may be a wrong analysis):
>
> That message seems to be very right.  It seems to come when we get
> into a 'memory overcommit' situation (ie, there isn't enough swap to
> satify your memory use if you dirty all pages).  It suggest adding
> twice as much swap space as what we overcommit.

I don't know what is 'overcommit'. Apparently, it is not measured
anywhere. This message suggest you have swap space twice as much as
your RAM (sounds familiar, eh?). It is printed when your free swap space
is less than your RAM size. Apparently, this is also to warn you that
system will try hard to keep swap free. This is done by the code I
pointed to in my previous posting. IMHO, the limit for free swap
space is too large.

Dima