Date:      Sat, 02 Feb 2008 10:10:16 +0800
From:      Erich Dollansky <oceanare@pacific.net.sg>
To:        KAYVEN RIESE <kayve@sfsu.edu>
Cc:        chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Microsoft buys Yahoo

Hi,

KAYVEN RIESE wrote:

> On Sat, 2 Feb 2008, Erich Dollansky wrote:
>> KAYVEN RIESE wrote:

>>> it was a news story on the san francisco news.  they said
>>> that a federal investigation was going to decide if there
>>> were antitrust issues.
>>>
>> this sounds like irony. As longer this drags, the further away from
>> the top will Yahoo be and so antitrust cannot be important anymore.
>
> umm.. Uncle Bill is the one doing the buying.. so.. umm.. i read that
> as the courts viewing microsoft as becoming the monopoly.

it is a question of how to define monopoly.

>> I currently use Google and Yahoo to do searches in news for a very
>> specific subject. It seems to me that at least there, Yahoo is very
>> often very much behind Google. Yahoo gets the same news sites indexed
>> later. Of course, they are not CNN, they are pretty small compared to
>> them.
>
> google made a run for the desktop a while back, right? so google is
> trying to compete with microsoft on a certain level.  you can't exactly
> call these things monopoly since microsoft is a PC-OS while google
> is a webserver.. still microsoft has MSN search.  microsoft has
> historically tried to horn in past the OS, (e.g. exel and word)
> so now they want to try to take websearch.  it ain't gonna happen,
> umm.. i don't THINK it's gonna happen, right?

I also wonder how Google earns so much monez with its search engine. Is
it just the adds? Is it reallz this simple?

On the other side, Google must be so much better than other search
engines to get so much more hits to earn money with this free service
via the adds.

The problem I see is how the search results are influenced bz the search
engine in use.

Erich