Date:      Sun, 16 Aug 1998 14:29:00 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Bill Fumerola <billf@chc-chimes.com>
To:        Neil Blakey-Milner <nbm@rucus.ru.ac.za>
Cc:        ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: php3 and modules for it.

On Sun, 16 Aug 1998, Neil Blakey-Milner wrote:

> > I need the mysql stuff compiled in to php3 for this port, BUT others may
> > not, or want OTHER modules compiled in (LDAP, SNMP, msql, sybase, etc) so
> > should I make a php3-mysql port and let other make php3-ldap (for example)
> > when they need it? I'd even make ports for all the modules, but that would
> > be 10+ ports. I don't mind the work, but I think that would be a bit much.
> >
> > suggestions?
>
> The apache1[23]-php3 port gives you this functionality (the php3 and msql),
> I'd hope.  A concern of mine is how the apache server ports are heading...

You have a choice of using apache1[23]-php3 with several different
databases (mysql, msql, etc). What if someone already installed this port
for an application that uses msql? The port doesn't require apache*-php3,
it requires a web server, and php3 compiled with mysql support. Not all
three together.

> Should we create apache13-php3-ssl-fp ports? :)

Or how about php3-ldap-mysql ports.... You see where my dilemma is. I hate
the possibility of having seperate ports install their own customization
of one program, but I hate having to consider every combination of a port.

Now I'm depressed and will move on to something else pending wisdom from
satoshi or someone. :>

- bill fumerola [root/billf]@chc-chimes.com - computer horizons corp -
-  ph:(800)252.2421 x128 / bfumerol@computerhorizons.com - BF1560  -

	"Logic, like whiskey, loses its beneficial effect
	when taken in too large quantities" -Lord Dunsany