Date:      Sun, 12 Nov 2000 14:59:08 -0500
From:      x@FreeBSD.ORG
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Linmodem? can i use it?

i have a dreaded winmodem in my toshiba satelite 2540cds Laptop.
Im using FBSD 3.2Stable and found out too late that winmodems are
the most nonsensical pieces of &)$#%@! out there. But ive found a
tiny light of hope - i think.

linux users are using so called linmodems - using some linux
software 'drivers' to utilize the functions of these crappy
winmodems.  My question is, can these linux 'drivers' be used
somehow on FBSD? I understand how linux binaries can be run on
FBSD, but this 'driver' is not exacly a binary (i think). it has a
.o extension, as in ltmodem.o.  Is there something i need to do to
this file to make it part of my kernel, or make it an
executable...???

the file i dloaded is the lucent5.68 linmodem driver. Link found
at:
http://www.o2.net/~gromitkc/winmodem.html
it comes with a few files concerning the linux style of
installation/uninstallation

If all goes to crud, can anyone recommend a good laptop modem?
PCMCIA? USB?

Thanks,
Ric, NY