Date:      Fri, 27 Jul 2001 15:42:04 +0200
From:      "Oliver Blasnik" <oliver.blasnik@nextra.de>
To:        "Dave" <dave@hawk-systems.com>, "Barry Irwin" <bvi@devco.net>
Cc:        <freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Gigabyte GS-SR101 and GS-SR102 1U rackmount...

Hi again,

Dave with some questions ;)

> >hardware cooled. Btw, I can _not_ recommend the 101 as far as the
> >IDE-Raid is a software-only solution and the FreeBSD-Drivers still
> >don't support this correctly (ex: if one drive fails in a two-mirrored-
> >driveset, the system is going to hang).
>
> So the IDE raid is useless for RAID 1(mirror) applications, but performs
RAID
> 0(striping) adequately?

This is correct.

> Any idea on when/if the IDE raid for FreeBSD 4.x will be resolved to avoid
this
> lockup problem? (really another thread)

I asked for it (check the archive for that *g*), and the reply was sth
like "use hardware for that". I think this features won't be available
in near future.

> Assume that the onboard SCSI320 interface in the 103 can/will support RAID
1 in
> FBSD4.x configuration?

No. Just a "simple" Adaptec SCSI-Controller. But I have in mind that
Katrina (from Gigabyte) told about an addon-Module from Adaptec to
perform HW-Raid. Not sure about. The mainboard-specs are still
changing from one week to the next.

> Dial question about construction...  assuming we can pick these up
> barebones and insert our own CPU/Mem/HDD into the barebones solution
> without much problem? Any pitfalls with that?

This is a way to go. This is the way I got the system up, as far as
the engineering samples are "empty" barebones, without cpu, ram, hdd.

> Thanks for the feedback, and would love to hear your impression of the 103
> performance when you do get ahold of it.

It hopefully will perform as I dream of *g*. If there's no Raid-Plugin
available, I'll check it with a Raid Adapter - 3 Hotswap SCSI HDD's
have to be used this way ;)

> Dave

Cu, Oliver
--
-- http://www.nextra.de - INTERNET@WORK ----- oliver.blasnik@nextra.de --
 Nextra Deutschland     | Oliver Blasnik      Senior System Administrator