Date:      Wed, 25 Aug 1999 10:04:51 +0200
From:      sthaug@nethelp.no
To:        kris@activetech.net
Cc:        FreeBSD-ISP@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: OFF TOPIC:  HP Routers

> Did anyone ever use HP AdanceStack Routers Model 430 and 230?
> I got a guy who wants to sell a few cheap, he has no idea what they are, and
> neither do I , cause HP's website has no info on those except software
> updates.
> If anyone worked with these and knows the specs , please let me know.

We have a bunch of the 440 model, aka HP-ER, aka Advancestack 27285A. This
has 2xsync serial (up to E1, 2 Mbps) and 2x10base5 (AUI) Ethernet. Fairly
easy menu-driven config, based on the Bay/Wellfleet 5.7x series of software.
Uses a Motorola 68030 processor. We only use them at the edge of the network,
where we can avoid dynamic routing (static routes injected in into OSPF at
the nearest Cisco router). We *tried* to use these routers with OSPF, but
it never worked well enough that we could depend on it.

I don't remember what the 430 (SR) and 230 (PR) are. I believe one of them
may be a 1xsync serial/1xEthernet router.

You might be able to find something at the HP web site if you search for
27285A - I know I found a wiring diagram for the console cable fairly
recently.