Date:      Sun, 05 Jul 1998 21:06:33 +0200
From:      Stefan Eggers <seggers@semyam.dinoco.de>
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        Stefan Eggers <seggers@semyam.dinoco.de>, heller@cdnow.com
Subject:   Re: July 2nd SNAP question.

> > This code from rc.network displays "Doing initial network setup: hostname"
> >
> > network_pass1() {
> >     echo -n 'Doing initial network setup:'
> >     # Set the host name if it is not already set
> >     if [ -z "`hostname -s`" ] ; then
> >             hostname $hostname
> >             echo -n ' hostname'
>                       ^         ^
> >     fi
>
> >  Anybody else see this or just me?
>
> You have apostrophe/single quote characters where you need the backtick
> characters.  So echo just outputs the string " hostname" instead of the
> result of executing hostname.

Of course this is assuming the one asking wants the hostname there
instead of just "hostname".  Otherwise I don't see the problem.

The initial string will be output in any case and I - like someone
else who noted it - see nothing wrong with setting the hostname in
/etc/rc.conf and then handing it here to the right command to make it
known to the system.  It's the first part of the network init after
all.  So this is correct.

Stefan.
--
Stefan Eggers                 Lu4 yao2 zhi1 ma3 li4,
Max-Slevogt-Str. 1            ri4 jiu3 jian4 ren2 xin1.