Date:      Thu, 20 Mar 1997 09:53:02 -0800
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        mike allison <mallison@konnections.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD-chat@FreeBSD.ORG, FreeBSD-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Free Systems Journal

> Hey All:
>
> Burning Eagle Book Company would like to announce our forthcoming
> publication:
>
> 	"The Free Systems Journal"

This sounds like a great offering, though I do feel compelled to note
that before people jump on board too quickly with this, the FreeBSD
Project, in cooperation with Walnut Creek CDROM, is also just now
launching "The FreeBSD Newsletter" and will be sending it out free of
charge to all interested FreeBSD customers (2.2's recently introduced
registration form has a subscription option for it).

I mention this now because I am, in fact, currently seeking articles
for the first issue, something I was going to announce tomorrow but
your announcement sort of galvanized me into action a bit sooner. :)

My worry is that two startup publications devoted to this segment of
free software market will quickly deplete the available articles,
already in rather short supply, and I wonder how we might work this
out.  It's also going to be possible for me to collect name & address
info directly from the installed base, as well as give away free
advertising space to FreeBSD related vendors, so it strikes me as a
definite possibility that one publication could sort of hamper the
growth of the other from a surplus of advantage if we don't work out
some more cooperative arrangement.

I'd welcome suggestions as to how we might handle this.

It's also the objective of the FreeBSD Newsletter to be available in a
wide variety of media, including postscript paper copies, ascii (for
email) and HTML for the WWW site(s).  Back issues will also be kept on
www.freebsd.org and distributed with future CDROM distributions.

Given that this will probably be nothing like the slick, glossy,
full-color periodicals you get from folks like the Linux Journal (and
possibly this Free Software Journal), I having had something more like
USENIX's ";login" newsletter in mind, perhaps there is ample room in
the market for both publications if we play this reasonably
cooperatively.  If nothing else, the Free Software Journal will be
paying its contributors and may therefore attract a different caliber
of writer. :)

Comments?

					Jordan