Date:      Thu, 4 Jan 1996 10:21:54 -0500 (EST)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@glue.umd.edu>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
Cc:        Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>, J Wunsch <j@uriah.heep.sax.de>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Demand loading (Re: FreeBSD, Zappa & PCI)

On Wed, 3 Jan 1996, Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:

> > Jordan, I can understand your first argument, but since SVR4 has been
> > running ELF for quite some time now, well, the second argument is a
> > little harder to see, for me.  Does ELF really still qualify as new
> > technology?
>
> Chuck, think a moment here.  What *technology* to implement ELF
> executables was used by SVR4?  Is it the same technology we have
> available to us?  No.  Then what?  The GNU stuff.  Has the GNU
> stuff been speaking ELF for long?  No.  I rest my case.

I see what you mean now, but I used to run SVR4 before I became aware of
FreeBSD.  Back then, I began using a lot of GNU tools, like GDB.  It
spoke ELF, way back then.  I think that's more than 4 years ago.  I'm
pretty certain here that the GNU tools were ELFing around long before
Linux began it.  Course, I can't speak to the ELF tools stability, as I
was a beginning hacker; but I think the GNU ELF tools might be of an
older vintage than you give them credit for.

I actually think your first argument is quite a bit stronger.  Adding up
all the gains one might get from switching to ELF really would have to
balance out all the work (and bugs) that would have to be sweated out for
making a switchover.  Providing ELF compatibility to our present a.out
would give all the ELF crowd what they want without creating a huge
pool of legacy apps.

> 					Jordan

Chuck Robey chuckr@eng.umd.edu -- I run FreeBSD on n3lxx and Journey2
The Dilbert Zone is Dilbert's new WWW home! The area
features never-before-seen original sketches of Dilbert, a photo tour
of Scott Adams' studio, Dilbert Trivia and memorabilia, high
school photos and much more!:
<URL:http://www.unitedmedia.com/comics/dilbert/>;