Date:      Mon, 12 Aug 1996 13:25:58 +0200
From:      "Julian H. Stacey" <jhs@freebsd.org>
To:        Chuck Robey <chuckr@glue.umd.edu>
Cc:        Narvi <narvi@haldjas.folklore.ee>, bvsmith@lbl.gov, ports@freebsd.org, gj@freebsd.org, me@freebsd.org, asami@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: xfig.3.1.4 extension to support vi -C signals linkage

Hi, Reference:
> From: Chuck Robey <chuckr@glue.umd.edu>
>
> On Sun, 11 Aug 1996, Narvi wrote:

> > > I like the matchup, I wonder if there's some way to make something like
> > > this work inside the standard ports setup.  There's not port of nvi (Keit
- h
> > > Bostic's latest version of vi) although it compiles easily on FreeBSD.  D
- o
> > > you have pointers to your work on ghostview and and chimera?
> > >

> > How about making it a separate, local port that would depend on the
> > presence of xfig and build a new xfig? Just like tclX does...
>
> I want to hear from Julian, does adding this functionality make any
> difference to how the port works in the absence of a patched vi?

No, none (the extended ports are fully backward compatible),
there'll just be an increased functionality that's not easily accessible,
at a cost of perhaps an extra 30/50 bytes in the executable
of those 3 {ghostview, chimera, xfig} ports.

> I'm
> looking for a reason why we would NOT want this mod in our ports?

> Can't think of any except those 30 or so bytes, I even default my extra
functionality as `off by default'.

> I'm
> thinking that maybe this should go into xfig, ghostview, chimera, and
> maybe a patched port of nvi.

Sounds nice to me :-)

> > > I sure like the basic idea, a timesaver for sure.

Yup :-)  gj@freebsd.org has seen the {ghostview or chimera} + vi in action,
(I use it to type letters in groff & `wysiwyg' view it in gv, via make rules),
no one has seen the xfig + vi link mechanism yet though.

Julian
--
Julian H. Stacey	jhs@freebsd.org  	http://www.freebsd.org/~jhs/