Date:      Mon, 19 Jul 2004 15:26:44 -0700
From:      "Darren Pilgrim" <dmp@bitfreak.org>
To:        "'Andrew L. Gould'" <algould@datawok.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   RE: How to install a custom built world+kernel to a machine with no OS?

> From: Andrew L. Gould [mailto:algould@datawok.com]
> On Monday 19 July 2004 03:32 pm, Darren Pilgrim wrote:
> > [Private email redirected back to list]
> >
> > > From: 3BSD [mailto:assadbsd@gmail.com]

> > > How similar are those machines hardware wise? Because if they are
> > > really similar, you could use an imaging utility such as norton
> > > ghost to replicate one install on any number of machines, provided
> > > their hardware is similar, but if you use a Generic kernel, I'd
> > > imagine you don't even need the machines to be that similar at all.
> >
> > That doesn't solve the problem, though.  I would still need to
> > install the OS onto at least one machine.
>
> So are you saying that the custom world and kernel are not
> the system in use on the computer on which they exist?

Is the build machine part of the build set?  No.

> Assuming you've already edited the configuration files
> (/etc/rc.conf, /etc/fstab, etc):
>
> 1. Could you take the harddrives out of the destination
> computers, mount
> them on the source computer, and copy the system onto the hard drives?

The target machines will be using UFS2.  The build machine runs 4.9.

> 2. Couldn't you use a live cdrom distribution (Freesbie, Knoppix, BBC
> Linux, etc) to boot the machine, setup networking, mount the
> hard drive and transfer (ftp, nfs, rsync, etc) the custom system to
> the new computer?

No version of Linux is going to have the programs or environment to run
installworld.  I spoke with one of the FreeSBIE people (Drizzt) and s/he
said a FreeSBIE CD would have the necessary tools for installing via
makeworld so that looks like a good option.