Date:      Tue, 15 May 2001 08:56:38 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Drew Tomlinson <drewt@writeme.com>
Cc:        "FreeBSD Questions (E-mail)" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: Vinum Help

Your MUA wraps output lines.

On Monday, 14 May 2001 at 11:34:40 -0700, Drew Tomlinson wrote:
> I am trying to setup vinum on my 4.3 system for the first time and need some
> help as I'm not understanding this very well.  Specifically, I have 3 4.3G
> drives with a 100M root partition on the first and a 192M swap partition on
> the other two.  The remainder of the first drive has a second partition
> mounted as /usr.  What I would really like to have to keep the 100M root
> partition (only because ASFAIK one can't use vinum on root) and have a
> striped 384M swap and the remainder all of the space on all of the drives as
> one large striped partition mounted as /usr.  Is this possible?  Can anyone
> point me to a tutorial for this type of arrangement?
>
> My first quest is an attempt to take the free space left on da1 and da2 and
> create a stripe set.  Here is my feeble attempt at a configuration file:
>
> drive disk1 /dev/da1h
> drive disk2 /dev/da2h

This should read

  drive disk2 device /dev/da2h

> volume user
>   plex org striped 510k
>     sd length 3899m drive disk1
>     sd length 3899m drive disk2
>
> When trying to create the stripe set, I get the following error from vinum:
>
> vinum -> create -f /path/to/vinum.conf
>    1: drive disk1 /dev/da1h
> ** 1 Drive disk1, invalid keyword: /dev/da1h: Invalid argument
>    2: drive disk2 /dev/da2h
> ** 2 Drive disk2, invalid keyword: /dev/da2h: Invalid argument

Yes, you would.

> Both of these disks are identical and this is the output of disklabel:
>
> 8 partitions:
> #        size   offset    fstype   [fsize bsize bps/cpg]
>   b:   393216        0      swap                        # (Cyl.    0 - 682*)
>   c:  8380080        0    unused        0     0         # (Cyl.    0 - 14548*)
>
> In my vinum.conf file, I am using the "h" partition only because
> that is what is shown in the man page examples.  What I don't
> understand is do I have to somehow use disklabel to create a vinum
> file partition?

Yes.  To quote the man page:

     vinum drives are currently BSD disk partitions.  They must be of
     type vinum in order to avoid overwriting data used for other
     purposes.  Use disklabel -e to edit a partition type definition.

> The /stand/sysinstall only allows me to create a file system or swap
> partition.  I've tried the man page for disklabel but have failed to
> see how or if I can create a vinum partition.

Hmm.  Yes, the disklabel man page could be clearer.  In fact, it now
is:

     fstype      describes the purpose of the partition.  The example shows
                 all currently used partition types.  For UFS file systems and
                 ccd partitions, use type 4.2BSD.  For Vinum drives, use type
                 vinum.  Other common types are unused and swap.  By conven-
                 tion, partition c represents the entire slice and should be
                 of type unused, though disklabel does not enforce this con-
                 vention.  disklabel also knows about a number of other parti-
                 tion types, none of which are in current use.  See the defi-
                 nitions starting with FS_UNUSED in
                 /usr/include/sys/disklabel.h for more details.

Specifically, you need to create a new partition in the list:

 #        size   offset    fstype   [fsize bsize bps/cpg]
   b:   393216        0      swap                        # (Cyl.    0 - 682*)
   c:  8380080        0    unused        0     0         # (Cyl.    0 - 14548*)
   h:  7986864   393216     vinum        0     0         # (Cyl.    0 - 14548*)

The offset value is the size + offset of the b partition (in other
words, it starts immediately after the b partition).  The size is the
size of the rest of the disk, i.e the size of the c partition - the
size of the b partition.

Greg
If you don't, I may ignore the reply.