Date:      Sat, 11 Jul 1998 01:48:52 -0400
From:      Dave Chapeskie <dchapes@ddm.on.ca>
To:        "Ron G. Minnich" <rminnich@Sarnoff.COM>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Improvemnet of ln(1).

On Fri, Jul 10, 1998 at 04:24:52PM -0400, Ron G. Minnich wrote:
> Actually, why not just have ln warn of questionable links in any case.

Please NO!  I like that most standard unix commands do what I tell them
even if I tell them the wrong thing.  It puts the onus on me to think
about the commands I give.  (Unlike in m$.  How many people do you know
that habitually close editor windows before saving expecting the system
to notice and remind them to first save the file?  I know quite a few).

I've many times used ln(1) to create what you call 'questionable links'
on purpose and I'd _hate_ warnings.

If someone insists on adding such warnings then do it like mv(1) and
cp(1) by adding an option to ln(1) turn it on.

--
Dave Chapeskie <dchapes@ddm.on.ca>, DDM Consulting