Date:      Tue, 17 Mar 2009 19:21:19 +0000
From:      Ulf Lilleengen <ulf.lilleengen@gmail.com>
To:        Nenhum_de_Nos <matheus@eternamente.info>
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: [HEADS UP] Merge of projects/gvinum to head

On tir, mar 17, 2009 at 12:09:08pm -0300, Nenhum_de_Nos wrote:

> On Tue, March 17, 2009 11:39, Ulf Lilleengen wrote:

> >> This
> >> on
> >> is
> >> I've

> >> have

> >> same,
> >> What
> >>
> >> none, as I always read that the code was not ok or was not doing what
> >> raid5 is all about (those parity counts), I never was brave enough to
> >> try
> >> it. is this all wrong ?
> >>
> > I've not heard of any issues with the actual raid5 algorithms to be wrong,
>
> no, no, not wrong, but not implemented.

Oh, it's been implemented since FreeBSD 5.0 :) (the verst version of geom
vinum).

> so, if I use raid5 now (must see docs to know how to) it will do its job
> right if I replace one disk ? (as if one would die)
Yes, but the thing is that you might get problems if you don't do everything
strictly by the book. For instance, if the disk fails, and you have to reboot
to replace it, the volume will go up having the whole volume in the wrong
state, and you must do setstate commands appropriately to set the volume as
degraded before you insert the disk again. If you can just hot-swap the disk,
it should be quite easy without problems just using the move command.

This is a case where the new gvinum should be much less scary to use, so I
wouldn't recommend using the old version unless you have hot-swap disks
and/or previous experience with gvinum.

--
Ulf Lilleengen