Date:      Wed, 7 Sep 2005 14:17:16 -0400
From:      Scott Ullrich <sullrich@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Can't load kernel errors (with wierd bios messages)

On 9/5/05, Scott Ullrich <sullrich@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hello list!
> >
> > I'm trying to understand a problem that keeps coming up quite often
> > but I honestly have no idea what is going on.
> >
> > In random cases after upgrading I'm seeing the message:
> > Can't work out which disk we are booting from.
> > Guessed BIOS device 0xffffffff not found by probes, defaulting to disk0=
:

> > can't load 'kernel'
> >
> > Screen shot of the error in action:
> > http://www.pfsense.com/~sullrich/CantFindKernelError.JPG
> >
> > Does anyone know what causes this error?
> >
> > Thanks in advance!
>=20
> Sorry to reply to myself but wanted to pass on info that people are
> asking me in private e-mails:
>=20
> 1. We have tried ACPI w/o help
> 2. This happens on more than one machine (last could its about 9)
> 3. It always happens after the first bootup after upgrading the kernel an=
d world

This problem is not going away and appears to be getting worse..   Now
we are seeing a similar problem after boot but the kernel panics!

The panic is "panic: free: guard1 fail @ 0x51984 from
/usr/src/sys/boot/i386/loader../../common/module.c:967"

Can anyone shed some light on what is going on and things that I can
do to prevent these problems?   We would like to release pfSense
(www.pfsense.com) around the same time that FreeBSD 6 releases but I'm
affraid that with these problems lurking its not a good idea from a
support perspective.

Thanks again in advance!

Scott