Date:      Tue, 30 Mar 1999 10:04:29 -0500 (EST)
From:      Marty Poulin <mpoulin@rascal.honk.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   PS/2 mouse out of sync?

Hi,

I have been trying to set up a new 2.2.8 system using a PS/2 mouse, and
have had no luck with the mouse so far.

The system seems to detect the mouse on startup (see the output from dmesg
below:)

psm0 at 0x60-0x64 irq 12 on motherboard
psm0: model IntelliMouse, device ID 3

(incidentally, the mouse is *not* an Intellimouse, just a 2-button HP
mouse)

No matter what I try, I always get the following message on the console
the minute I touch the mouse:

Mar 30 09:29:24 dns /kernel: psmintr: out of sync (00c8 != 0000).
Mar 30 09:29:24 dns /kernel: psmintr: out of sync (00c0 != 0000).
Mar 30 09:29:24 dns /kernel: psmintr: out of sync (0008 != 0000).
Mar 30 09:29:24 dns /kernel: psmintr: out of sync (00c8 != 0000).

If I try to use the mouse in X, it jumps around erratically and the above
message appears in the xterm windows that the mouse pointer happens to
jump into.  There is no possible way of controlling it like this.

I have the following in my /etc/rc.conf file:

moused_enable="YES"
moused_type="ps/2"
moused_port="/dev/psm0"
moused_flags="0x100"

and the following in /etc/XF86Config:

Section "Pointer"
   Protocol        "SysMouse"
   Device          "/dev/sysmouse"
   Resolution      200
   Buttons         3
EndSection

I have also tried setting "moused_type" to "auto" in rc.conf, and Device
to "/dev/psm0" in XF86Config.  The results were either the mouse would not
respond at all, or it would do the same thing it is doing now.

Can anyone help with this?

M.