Date:      Sun, 09 Dec 2001 17:20:08 -0800
From:      Peter Wemm <peter@wemm.org>
To:        Mark Murray <mark@grondar.za>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: *HEADS UP!* This means you!

Mark Murray wrote:
> Hi
>
> Now that I have your attention, please listen up, this may have some
> far-reaching consequences.
>
> We currently have 2 telnet sources in the src/ tree; src/crypto/telnet
> and the "base" telnet spread around in (src/*/*telnet*/).
>
> The "base" telnet is a complete subset of src/crypto telnet, and as
> a consequence of this, I want to remove the base telnet bits from
> the src/ tree. (Just the source, not the build infrastructure).
>
> This will be accomplished by removing the "base" sources, and building
> telnet without defining the AUTHENTICATION and ENCRYPTION macros. These
> macros are currently used with unifdef to make (by hand) the "base"
> telnet stuff).
>
> I'm not sure when I'll make the commit, but it will be soonish, with
> due fanfare.
>
> Those of you who believe that you may be in trouble with your
> government by having crypto in your posession (as opposed to using
> it), please let me know ASAP! This will make src/crypto mandatory
> if you want telnet(d). This will _not_ make crypto _use_ mandatory.

I for one will miss it.  I used libexec/telnetd extensively during ia64
bootstrap (and still use it) before we had the crypto stuff going.  This
was all built by hand, 'make world' still isn't an option there.  I also
use usr.bin/telnet on other systems where SRA is constantly getting in
my face and annoying the !^@#%!@^#!# out of me.

I really dont see that this has to be done this way.  FreeBSD committers
catch on to quirks in the tree pretty quickly.  I would much rather that
the unifdef step marked the generated files more prominantly so that we
didn't have accidents.  It would be a shame to complicate things when it
just takes a bit of committer education.

How about making the unifdef: targets whack on large "BEWARE! GENERATED
FILE!" warnings all over the beginning and end of each of them instead?

Cheers,
-Peter