Date:      Tue, 7 Nov 2000 13:53:11 -0800 (PST)
From:      Matt Dillon <dillon@earth.backplane.com>
To:        Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.freebsd.dk>
Cc:        Garance A Drosihn <drosih@rpi.edu>, Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>, Kirk McKusick <mckusick@mckusick.com>, arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: softdep panic due to blocked malloc (with traceback)

:>>we are short of KVM ?  There are code which can free KVM with no
:>>significant loss of anything but performance, if only we bother to
:>>tell it to do so.

    There is absolutely no correlation, none whatsoever, between memory
    load and the amount of KVM the system is using.  Zero.  Zip.  Nada.
    Trying to tie the two together is a complete waste of time.  KVM
    utilization should be self regulating, but if you try to do something
    'special' in low memory situations you will screw yourself badly ...
    you will make a system that is already inefficient from the load even
    more inefficient and less able to recover.

					-Matt