Date:      Thu, 31 Jan 2002 18:36:25 -0800 (PST)
From:      k Macy <kip_macy@yahoo.com>
To:        arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: KSE milestone 3 reached.

Do you really want to get rid of procfs in light of
the fact that other platforms that have kernel-visible
threads use it (Digital UNIX, Solaris, etc.)? See
sol-thread.c for something resembling the approach
that
may end up being taken. Procfs is used for examining
lwps and the thread's library interfaces are used to
examine the user-level threads. The ptrace interface
seems fundamentally unamenable to, or at least very
clumsy at handling multiple threads of control.

I'm very uncomfortable with the notion that ptrace
will work because it "has to."

			-Kip