Date:      Wed, 18 Oct 2006 20:07:29 +0100
From:      Tom Judge <tom@tomjudge.com>
To:        Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
Cc:        Jason Thomson <jason.thomson@mintel.com>, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org, Conrad Burger <conrad.burger@gmail.com>
Subject:   Re: When will the new BCE driver in HEAD be incorporated	into	RELENG_6?

Kris Kennaway wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 18, 2006 at 06:15:14PM +0100, Jason Thomson wrote:
>
>> Using the driver from HEAD* in the latest RELENG_6 didn't fix our
>> problems.
>>
>> We could still trigger the Watchdog timeout when copying a local file to
>> an NFS mounted filesystem (UDP mount, GigE speeds).
>>
>> It was also possible to trigger this bug with multiple simultaneous TCP
>> streams,  but that took a little longer.
>>
>> Copying a local file to an NFS/UDP filesystem would trigger the bug in a
>> few seconds.
>>
>> If there's anything we can do to help debug this,  please let us know.
>>

> Per my previous mails, the (known) bce watchdogs are symptoms of
> driver bugs which can be usefully converted into panics by enabling
> INVARIANTS and INVARIANT_SUPPORT.  Please do so, then report what
> happens.
>
> Kris

Hi Kris,

I am a colleague of Jason's,  when we were testing this patch the kernel
used had both options set:

option INVARIANTS
option INVARIANT_SUPPORT

Although on several boxes we have failed to cause a kernel panic, only
watchdog timeouts.  However the last crash that we reproduced did
trigger several:

bce: need to defrag

Messages on the console before the watchdob timeout occured.

Tom