Date:      Thu, 28 Aug 2003 10:14:03 -0700
From:      Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>
To:        Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>, stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Need to build some systems this week. Snapshots?

On Wednesday 27 August 2003 23:38, Brett Glass wrote:
> 1I need to build up some systems this week, but it appears that
> neither the US "releng4" server nor the Japanese snapshot server has
> snapshots of -STABLE with all of the most recently reported glitches
> fixed. (The Japanese server seems to be indicating, via log messages
> in its FTP directories, that it has run out of disk space for
> builds.) I can't get through to
> daemon.jp.freebsd.org, which normally holds builds of the latest
> release with security patches, at all.
>
> FreeBSD 4.9-RELEASE isn't due out until the end of next month. What's
> the best way to install a relatively stable build of FreeBSD, with
> all known security issues fixed, in the interim? I'd very much NOT
> like to do a CVS update and rebuild the world on these machines, as
> hard drive space and time available for installation will be limited.

Brett, I think your best bet would be to install 4.8 on one of the
machines, CVSup it to the 4.8 security branch, then upgrade all of
the machines from that one or build a distribution set on that one
to do the installs from.  That way you'll get the security fixes
without the PAE instability.

Best of luck, and let us know what worked out for you.

Wes Peters                                              wes@softweyr.com