Date:      Wed, 26 Feb 1997 17:08:35 -0800 (PST)
From:      Tom Wadlow <wadlow@pilot.net>
To:        Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Ethernet options on 2.2-GAMMA

> The other possibility is that the card is a 3C589D, which appears to be
> different enough so it's not supported with the zp0 driver.

Yup, that's it.  A 3C589D.  Bummer.

I've tried the PAO package, and that helped somewhat.  I'm able to install
with a Megahertz card from another Laptop, (which wasn't documented in
www.freebsd.org, which is why I bought the 3C589, which was) but still
can't get my 3C589D to work.  That at least gets me to the point
where I can play with the cards and see what can be done.  I'll let you
know how it comes out.

While I'm here, some comments on the install process, FWIW:

	- Generally quite good.  Once you get a net connection
	the overall install is quite painless.

	- Since the installation package asks for the name of your
	machine, it should at least offer to put it in /etc/sysconfig
	rather than assuming you'll figure it out later.

	- Using sysinstall to install packages:

		* The index of packages doesn't seem related to the
		packages that are installable.  Under 2.2-GAMMA you
		get a nice big long list, but many of them aren't
		installable.  If you set your release to 2.1.7-RELEASE
		you get a very similar (but not identical) list that
		is installable.

		* When a package is not installable, the sysinstall tool
		sometimes likes to hang forever.

		* When it is installing a big package, it sometimes
		appears to hang, but is just slow.  A "heartbeat" or
		completion bargraph would be nice here too.

		* It'd be nice if you could ask a package "What are you
		dependent on?"  rather than having to install it just
		to see.

--Tom