Date:      Tue, 11 Apr 2006 00:10:10 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Kris Anderson <ciscoaix@yahoo.com>
To:        Wil Hatfield <freebsd@hyperconx.com>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   RE: Bge Kernel Compile Issues

--- Wil Hatfield <freebsd@hyperconx.com> wrote:

> > > Check your RAM lately? Kernel and world compiles
> usually make RAM issues
> > > evident.
>
> RAM checked out fine.
>
> > /usr/src/sys/dev/bge/if_bge.c
> > /usr/src/sys/dev/bge/if_bge.c: In function
> `bge_newbuf_jumbo':
> > /usr/src/sys/sys/mbuf.h:513: warning: 'zone' might
> be used
> > uninitialized in
> > this function
>
> The problems with GENERIC build, the BGE 'zone'
> issue, and half a dozen
> other similar uninitialized variable errors were all
> caused by this:
>
> options         RESTARTABLE_PANICS
>
> Turning it off made it all build just fine on
> multiple machines. Always
> something right in front of your face isn't it?
>
> Now my question is with the RESTARTABLE_PANICS
> turned off are my machines
> going to hang at kernel panics? What is the deal
> with that? Still waiting
> for an answer on that one.
>
> --
> Wil Hatfield
Hey there,
Not sure what Freebsd you're trying to build but
here's a report found two years ago:
http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-bugs/2004-September/009307.html

Did a google search and that option appears to allow
the kernel to return from a panic.

Looks like a few users over the years have complained
about the RESTARTABLE_PANICS being broken. Might still
be.

Hope that helps.

~Mr. Anderson