Date:      Tue, 20 Dec 2011 10:00:56 -0800
From:      "Thomas D. Dean" <tomdean@speakeasy.org>
To:        freebsd-amd64@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: amd64/163442: boot/loader.conf not processed at boot time

On Tue, 2011-12-20 at 08:01 -0500, John Baldwin wrote:

> You need to try to capture a verbose dmesg.  Also, try booting with
> the beastie menu disabled so you can see any errors from the loader when it
> tries to load the modules.

I put
verbose_loading="YES"
boot_verbose="-v"

in /boot/loader.conf, as the first two lines.

No change in the boot process.

I have an idea.

I use grub to control a triple boot, Windows 7 (warranty) Linux, and
FreeBSD 9.0(RC2)

The grub menu for FreeBSD is

insmod part_gpt
insmod ufs_2
set root='(hd1.gpt4)'
kfreebsd /boot/kernel/kernel
kfreebsd_loadenv /boot/device.hints
set kFreeBSD.vfs.root.mountfrom=ufs:/dev/ada1p4
set kFreeBSD.vfs.root.mountfrom.options=rw

This bypasses the loader!  I need to do some research.  Is it possible
to load the loader rather than the kernel?

So, I guess I have to do a work around.

I have rebooted this machine too many times, so I guess I got used to
not seeing the beastie.

Sorry for missing this.

When I figure it out, I will post again.

Thanks,
tomdean