Date:      Mon, 5 Oct 1998 12:46:27 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Jamie Bowden <jamie@itribe.net>
To:        Duncan Barclay <dmlb@ragnet.demon.co.uk>
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Exabyte 8200

On Thu, 1 Oct 1998, Duncan Barclay wrote:

> Hi
>
> I've have just picked up a Exabyte 8200 from a fire sale at work (almost free).
> This appears to be fine for use at home and as something is better than nothing
> when it comes to backups.
>
> I wonder if anyone can help me out on working out how
> to use it/point me to manuals? It seems to be working, although I haven't got
> any tapes in it yet, it probes fine etc.
>
> The model I have has an LCD panel over the drive door. When the drive powers up
> it asks me to select a compression mode, there is a small round button on the
> LCD which toggles a little "C" on the LCD, next to a "2". There is also an
> extra card plugged into the SCSI connector which I think controls the LCD.
>
> This model doesn'y seem to be a standard Exabyte model and markings on the
> chassis don't tell me much.
>
> I'm going to try and get manuals from work (but they may be in the bin...)
>
> Any suggestions as to which brands of tape are good/bad etc. I only need to
> back up a few hundred meg. on it at home (everything else is on CDs or CVSup!)

Got a model # on the chassis anywhere?  I have an 8505 with similar
features, which is actually a Contemporary Cybernetics chassis built
around an exabyte mechanism.

Jamie Bowden

--
Systems Administrator, iTRiBE.net

If we've got to fight over grep, sign me up.  But boggle can go.
	-Ted Faber (on Hasbro's request for removal of /usr/games/boggle)