Date:      Mon, 8 Mar 1999 18:45:44 -0600 (CST)
From:      "Douglas K. Rand" <rand@meridian-enviro.com>
To:        Tibor Borzak <cezy_bt@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Syslogd

Tibor> How can I stop the syslogd process ??

kill -TERM `cat /var/run/syslog.pid`

Tibor> I want to remove definitly from the system..

Hmm, you probably don't *really* want to remove the executable from
the system, but to prevent it from starting at the next reboot:

3.1-RELEASE (and after) add this to /etc/rc.conf

    syslogd_enable="NO"

3.0-RELEASE (and before) change in /etc/rc.conf

    syslogd_enable="NO"

Tibor> What's the name of the log file generated by this process?

Probably lots, check out /etc/syslog.conf to be sure