Date:      Tue, 23 Jun 1998 08:39:11 +0200
From:      Dang-Ngoc TUYET-TRAM <Dang-Ngoc.Tuyet-Tram@prism.uvsq.fr>
To:        FreeBSD-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   [Help] cannot mount anything after getting from 2.2.6 to 3.0

Hello,

I've  installed FreeBSD2.2.6 on a HP vectra XU (bi-processor Intel Pentium 200,
Ultra SCSI adaptec 7880, 128Mb RAM) on my second SCSI 2Gb hard drive (first
one is under NT)
I used to get under FreeBSD by putting a boot-floppy disk and at boot
prompt write : 1:sd(1,0)/kernel
Everything was all right, I've installed lot of things which run perfectly,
rebuild the kernel to fin to my computer. Everything got well.

But yesterday, I decided to upgrade to FreeBSD3.0 so  I got  a tar archive
of the 3.0-980520-SNAP, copy the sources, ran the installation script for
the /bin directory, also ran the install script for the port directory
(of the 3.0 of course), tried to re-build the kernel (but not
succeded because of an error at config time : files.i386 : i386/isa/npx.c
must be optional or standard, so I let the old kernel as it was) and... reboot.

Now by booting with  1:sd(1,0)/kernel, I get :
mount : exec mount_ not found in /sbin/, /usr/sbin : no such file or directory
File mount failed, startup aborted
Enter FullPathname or shell  or return for /bin/sh

So I type RETURN, get a prompt. Doing df show only the partition /
All other partitions are not mounted. And In this only partition, I can't
write anything, because each time I try to, I get
read only filesystem.

So what can I do ? Do I have to re-install everything ?
And was it the right procedure to get to FreeBSD3.0 ??

Thanks a lot for reply,

Tram
--
Universite de Versailles
dntt@prism.uvsq.fr

Il y a au moins deux façons de programmer la même chose.