Date:      Mon, 21 Jan 2002 17:51:59 -0500
From:      Ray Kohler <rkohler1@cox.rr.com>
To:        "Philip Pereira" <info@wintellect.co.uk>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Boot Loader?

On Monday 21 January 2002 03:54 pm, Philip Pereira wrote:
> Dear all-knowledgable ones...
>
> I have 2 questions to do with the FreeBSD Boot Loader.
>
> Currently my system uses the standard MBR to point to the hard
> disk for booting, but I want to go a step further....
>
> (A)    How can I install the 'FreeBSD Boot Loader' at this late
> stage without damaging my current installation?

Run "disklabel -B ad0" (substitute another disk for ad0 if
appropriate.) You can do this now or after installing linux, it
doesn't matter.

> (B)    When I attach my second hard disk (with Linux on it) to my
> FreeBSD box, how can I configure the newly installed Boot Loader
> (from point A) to give the option of booting either OS on either
> disk?

When you install linux, tell LILO (or Grub, or whatever) to install
in the MBR of the new linux disk (probably /dev/hdb, but of course
I don't know what you've got set up here). DON'T put it in the MBR
of the FreeBSD disk (unless you want to use LILO to boot FreeBSD
instead). LILO doesn't need to know about FreeBSD, only linux.

There's no configuration of boot0 (the FreeBSD boot loader you
speak of) needed; it's smart enough to automatically give you the
choice between 'FreeBSD' and 'other disk' (which will transfer
control to LILO to boot linux).

--
Ray Kohler
Parsley