Date:      Fri, 7 Apr 2000 01:15:16 -0700 (PDT)
From:      asami@freebsd.org (Satoshi Asami)
To:        ports@freebsd.org
Cc:        committers@freebsd.org
Subject:   HEADS UP: ports Makefiles being updated soon

Hello world,

As we have been discussing on the ports list, we have decided to
introduce a slight syntax change to the port Makefiles regarding
DISTNAME and PKGNAME.

This change will be done this weekend.  I will freeze the ports tree
Friday night (U.S. Pacific Time) and a small group of volunteers will
convert the entire tree in one pass.  I will then unfreeze the tree
and we can go back to business.

I don't expect anything to break but since we are talking about over
3,000 ports, I can't guarantee that everything will go smooth.  If you
haven't cvsupped ports for a while, you may want to do it now.

After the conversion, "old style" ports will no longer be accepted.
Please read the handbook's porting section at, for instance,

  http://www.FreeBSD.org/handbook/porting.html#PORTING-SAMPLEM

for details.

(The above page seems to be still showing the old version -- the
 documentation change was committed today, so please check back later.)

Also, make sure that you have the latest ports/Mk/bsd.port.mk if you
are using anything from ports-current.  This means, if you are
cvsupping individual ports collections, you need to have "ports-base"
in your cvsupfile.

Thanks,
Satoshi (and the friendly ports team)