Date:      Wed, 5 Mar 2003 10:09:56 -0800 (PST)
From:      Robert English <drakcap@pacbell.net>
To:        Pat Lashley <patl+freebsd@volant.org>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   ldconfig command line (was: re: WARNING - portupgrade considered harmful)

I noted your post on this subject, and since I was getting
various puzzling but benign error messages (f.i.
"kpfpropertiesdialog" unknown calls) I checked "ldconfig" the
way you suggested - turns out the "kde3" libraries are listed
last, and "/compat/pkg" is next-to-last (that's the ELF listing,
which is default on this machine).

I'm new to this one, and after looking at the "man" page as well
as on the Web I'm not sure of the format the command line needs
to take to set the order straight.  According to the "man" page,
there should be a file "/etc/ld.so.conf" but there is nothing of
the sort there - if it were just a matter of editing a "conf"
file, I'd know what to do.

If this is a command-line action, could you please let me know
what it is or else point me in the direction of where I find
out?  TIA