Date:      Sun, 16 Nov 2003 09:59:43 +0000
From:      Jez Hancock <jez.hancock@munk.nu>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: how to map pfkeys to screen -r cmds

On Fri, Nov 14, 2003 at 07:04:18PM -0500, Marty Landman wrote:
> Thought I recently read something in the Handbook about being able to
> switch screens easily using the pfkeys but didn't see the how of it. Today
> learned the screen cmd following a tip from the fbds Diary but the
> usefulness would be greatly enhanced with some quick way to go through the
> screens. How hard is this effect to set up, either with or w/o screens?
> Also I'm ssh'ing into my session in case that matters.
The way I use screen:

- type 'screen' to start a new screen session

- type 'ctrl-a c' to create a new screen tty - usually one screen for
  logfiles, one for top, one for trafshow, etc etc

- to switch from one screen to another, type 'ctrl-a n' (to goto the
  next screen) or 'ctrl-a p' (to goto the previous screen).  Note this
  only works when you're in a screen session - doesn't work if you're
  just in a normal tty/console/ssh session.

- another nice way to choose which screen to jump to is to type:
  'ctrl -a "'
  which gives you a list of current screens to scroll through with your
  arrow keys.  You can also name the screens to make them more memorable
  when using this technique using 'ctrl-a A'

- to 'detach' from screen type 'ctrl-a d' which will drop you back to
  the tty session you were originally in.

- to 'reattach' to a screen session type 'screen -r (-d)' - the -d switch
  forces the reattachment, doing a 'detach' first if needed (ie if
  someone else is using that screen, they'll be detached first).  Can't
  say I've ever really needed this since I only use screen on my
  box.

All of this is in the manual for screen, have a look.  There's also a
good site for screen hosted by sven guckes which has some ok stuff on
it:
http://www.math.fu-berlin.de/~guckes/screen/

mmm which seems to be borked right now, hopefully by the time you read
this it'll be fixed (I'll mail him now:=).

--
Jez Hancock
 - System Administrator / PHP Developer

http://munk.nu/