Date:      Mon, 16 Sep 2002 14:47:57 -0700
From:      "Drew Tomlinson" <drew@mykitchentable.net>
Subject:   Re: How to configure my new toys...

----- Original Message -----
To: <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Sent: Monday, September 16, 2002 2:00 PM

> Hi all,
>
> I was fortunate enough to come into the possession of 2 4 unit
rackmount
> servers last week, with dual PIII 550's, 512 Mb Ram and 2x9.1 gig UW
SCSI
> drives each and hot swappable power supplies. A bit of an upgrade
over my
> current Celeron FreeBSD boxes, which have performed admirably by the
way.

> They came with Winblows 2000 installed (blech!), which I have since
nuked
> and done a basic install of FreeBSD over top of. Now comes the fun
part of
> deciding exactly what I'm going to do with them.
>
> Specifically, I'm wondering how to configure/partition the discs. I
could
> put /usr/home on one drive and everything else on the other but I
know I
> won't be needing a huge amount of storage on these boxes so that
seems
> like a bit of a waste.
>
> I've read about Vinum, but the documentation on it seems to be a
little
> sketchy. Is it possible to use a striped or mirrored Vinum setup as
your
> main disc in FreeBSD? or, will I get more speed by just having my
> partitions split over the individual drives? How fast would a
mirrored
> setup be? Comparable to a regular IDE drive? Faster, slower?

Have you looked at the handbook?  Greg Lehey explains the difference
between striping and mirroring and the advantages of each.

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/vinum-vinum.
html

A short answer to your question is that any drive except / can be a
vinum drive, IIRC and striping is usually the best way to get
performance increases.

HTH,

Drew