Date:      Mon, 17 Jul 2000 18:38:47 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Bernie Doehner <bad@wireless.net>
To:        Rob Hurle <rob@coombs.anu.edu.au>
Cc:        ports@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Staroffice 5.2 installation under FreeBSD 4.0-RELEASE?

Hi Rob and others:

Thanks.. I had looked left and right and couldn't find a matching message.
I obviously didn't know how to look.

> 		cd /usr/bin
> 		ln -s /bin/test

Got it that far.

> 2.  The install script does not set the library path correctly.  I solved
> this problem by setting up a temporary directory:
>
> 		mkdir /tmp/fdir
> 		cp /cdrom/linux/office52/f_0000 /tmp/fdir
> 		cd /tmp/fdir
> 		unzip f_0000
> 		setenv LD_LIBRARY_PATH /tmp/fdir

How did anyone ever guess this was a zip file? Ok, this obviously was
where I got stuck.

> and then run the install program.

FYI, for people who don't have the CD.
In order to get the f_0000 file, I had to

mkdir /compat/linux/tmp
cp so-5.2* /compat/linux/tmp
su
chroot /compat/linux /bin/tcsh
cd /tmp
./so-5.2*
Answer yes to the silly question about missing libc,
wait for system to freeze (I mean totaly lock up, not even KDB would work
if I ran the program off a text terminal, but setenv DISPLAY'ed to
unix:0.0 running on another virtual terminal.

(Perhaps that I run XFree86 Version 4.0.1 under 4.0-RELEASE here makes a
difference?  Is there a dependency on certain extensions that cause the
lockup? I am running with the kernel options outlined earlier in
Staroffice 5.1 documentation).

Hit reset line.

Wait for system to come back up, and viola in /compat/linux/tmp/sv001.tmp
I have the f0000 file.

If I instead run ./so-5.2* directly from my FreeBSD root shell (there is
no tar available),it starts up, but starts to allocate massive amounts of
RAM, up to about RES size 384MB, and eventualy dies because it can't
allocate more RAM.

This BAD behaviour isn't particularly condusive to a nice and simple
ports entry.

> 3.  The base directory that the installation script chooses is:
>
> 		/usr/compat/linux
>
> which is not so crash hot, but this can be moved or relinked after
> installation.
>
> 4.  Installation proceeds, but dies at the end as the setup program tries
> to "register" libary routines.  The log file shows the errors as:
>
> 	ERR register component: libctl569li.so : applicat.rdb
> 	ERR UNO exception (libctl569li.so):
>
> for all of the library files, and the library files are unavailable to
> soffice, so it will not run.

Did anyone try copying all these libraries to a "temporary" directory,
adding it to /compat/linux/etc/ld.so.conf, and running
/compat/linux/sbin/ldconfig before running the setup program?
applicat.rdb reminds me of the 5.1a ports installation. Maybe we need the
applicat.rdb.tgz (or whatever that "additional" file was called) again?

> 	Any ideas?  I remember that problems in 1 and 2 (above) came up
> with version 5.1, and we discussed solutions in this forum back then
> (August last year?).  However, this "registration" seems a more difficult
> problem - I guess the *.rdb file is some database thing.
>
> No-one's come up with anything yet, so I'll repost this to
> freebsd-questions in case there's someone who's got further.
>
> > One thing that seemed to help, was mkdir /compat/linux/tmp

Yes :)

> I have this file linked to /tmp
>
> 	If you find anything else, let's know.

Now there's a great idea.. I just wasn't sure if anything within the Linux
emulation actualy fully chroot'ed.. Guess I have a nack for doing things
the hardest way possible.

Thanks for bringing me one step closer.. It'll be a few days before I get
another chance to try this.

Best Regards,

Bernie