Date:      Sat, 2 Jun 2001 14:31:40 +0400
From:      "Andrey A. Chernov" <ache@nagual.pp.ru>
To:        CHOI Junho <cjh@kr.FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        i18n@freebsd.org, audit@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 2CFR: locale names renaming

On Sat, Jun 02, 2001 at 17:17:53 +0900, CHOI Junho wrote:

> Is backward compatibility preserved? Currently FreeBSD locale
> system doesn't permit aliases, so if ko_KR.EUC changed to ko_KR.eucKR
> (I definitely agree with it), it can break many application or user
> configuration of locale.

It is possible (via symlinks) but I don't think it is good idea, even for
transition period. If we preserve compatibility, people never change their
environment LANG variables, so programs which parse LANG directly will be
in trouble since in each and every such programs we need to add both
variants. So there is no advantage of using new scheme since old scheme
must be coded each time too. We already have too many locale changes in
-current to make it is already incompatible with 4.3 locale, so yet one
incompatible change don't play role here.

--
Andrey A. Chernov
http://ache.pp.ru/