Date:      Wed, 10 Apr 1996 10:17:02 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Amir Y. Rosenblatt" <amir@neuron.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   tar and restore problem

After bringing my machine up and running it for the better part of a
week, I decided that I needed to reconfigure the disk partitions.  So I
did a set of filesystem dumps to a 4mm DAT, but when I tried to do test
restores of them, I got an error message ("Input/output error").  I tried
about a dozen different sets of parameters but none of them, let me do a
restore.  So, I tried using tar instead (I did my initial installation
from tape, as well as having installed a bunch of the initial software
that way).  I did some test tart and untars and they worked fine.  So, I
crossed my fingers and did a "tar -cvf /dev/rst0 /" and 15 minutes later
it finished.  I then went and reinstalled the machine from the 2.1
install media (the same tape I used the first time) and prepared to
restore the OS to the way it had been before the reconfig.  Howerver,
when I attempted to untar it (using "tar -xvf /dev/rst0") I got the
following error:

st0: 65536-byte record too big
tar: read error on /dev/rst0: Input/output error

Then I got two console messages, both reading as follows:

/kernel: st0 65536-byte record too big

I attempted to list the contents of the tape, using "tar -tvf /dev/rst0"
and that worked fine.  But I was still unable to untar the contents of
the tape.

OS-wise, when I did the backup I was running a 2.1R kernel on a -stable
OS (I'd had some PPP problems with my -stable kernel which I had planned
to deal with tonight and there had been no problems with the setup up to
that point).  The tape drive is an HP SureStore SCSI-2 8 gig 4mm DAT
drive.  My hard drives are Seagate ST32550W Baraccudah 2LPs (I have 2 of
them).  I'm using an Adaptec 2940W as my SCSI-2 host adapter.  The
machine itself is a P120, with an Asus motherboard, 32 meg of RAM and a
Mach64 graphics card.

I recompiled my kernel hoping that might help (couldn't hurt, as it
brought it closer to the way I'd had the kernel set up originally), but
there are still some differences between my current kernel and the
original one.  The original one had the SCSI drives hardwired to their
device files (i.e. SCSI device 0 was hardwired to sd0, etc).

Any suggestions?

	-Amir