Date:      Sun, 11 Dec 2005 20:37:47 +0100
From:      Torfinn Ingolfsen <torfinn.ingolfsen@broadpark.no>
To:        freebsd-amd64@freebsd.org
Subject:   FreeBSD/amd64: is Linux 32-bit or 64-bit?

No, really, this is NOT a trick question.

I run FreeBSD/amd64 on one of my machines. As usual, I have installed
the linuxulator and the linux_base-8 port.
While doing some crazy tricks in my neverending quest to get a
working Java browser plugin for my amd64 machine, I thought about the
linuxulator and the linux_base-8 port.

Since the platform OS is 64-bit, I assumed that the Linuxulator and the
linux_base-8 port also was 64-bit.

However, I'm not so sure anymore:
root@kg-quiet# uname -a
FreeBSD kg-quiet.kg4.no 6.0-STABLE FreeBSD 6.0-STABLE #0: Thu Dec  8
00:56:05 CET 2005     root@kg-quiet.kg4.no:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/QUIET
amd64

root@kg-quiet# /compat/linux/bin/uname -a
Linux kg-quiet.kg4.no 2.4.2 FreeBSD 6.0-STABLE #0: Thu Dec  8 00:56:05
CET 2005 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux

This last part seems to say that linux on this machine is 32-bit?

What is the correct answer?
--
Regards,
Torfinn Ingolfsen,