Date:      Mon, 16 Feb 2004 20:55:00 +0000
From:      Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
To:        JJB <Barbish3@adelphia.net>
Cc:        "freebsd-questions@FreeBSD. ORG" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: How-to get anonymous FTP to use port 6021

--eHhjakXzOLJAF9wJ

On Mon, Feb 16, 2004 at 02:56:34PM -0500, JJB wrote:
> How can I tell the inetd anonymous ftp server to listen on an
> different port other that 21.
> I tried adding port 6021 in the /etc/services file but that did not
> work.

Don't change the default ftp port number in /etc/services -- instead
add your own line, eg:

    mycustomftp    6021/tcp

Then add a line lie so into /etc/inetd.conf:

    mycustomftp    stream  tcp     nowait  root    /usr/libexec/ftpd       =
ftpd -l

and restart inetd:

    # kill -HUP `cat /var/run/inetd.pid`

Note that this may well result in port 6020 being used for the FTP
data channel -- you'll need to make sure your firewall rules permit
that.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

--=20