Date:      Thu, 16 Jan 1997 18:52:14 -0600
From:      Tracy Phillips <tphilips@cedar.netten.net>
To:        install@freebsd.org
Cc:        dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu
Subject:   re: installation woes

Doug,

I really appreciate your support for new users to freebsd.

I installed freebsd onto my second harddrive and then booted with a dos
boot disk and changed the active partition to my first harddrive
(windows95), then i tried to boot again with system commander nothing
happend. i tried to boot from the boot disk nothing happend. i used
linux fdisk to create four partions for freebsd on my second harddrive.
i installed freebsd mounting the partions in this order / <swap> /var
/usr. i rebooted and selected system commander, this time i got the
boot: prompt but no matter what i entered nothing happend. incidentley
after i installed last time i switched to virtual terminal 4 or 5 i
forget which just to see if everything was installed and i moved around
the dir structure and everything was in order.

so getting peeved at this point (getting a boot prompt but not actually
booting the system) i decided to see if i could install freebsd on my
first harddrive from my 3rd  harddrive which has the dos partition.
everything installed fine and i rebooted got the boot prompt, hit enter,
and freebsd booted without a problem just like its supposed to.

is there anyway to put windows95 onto another drive beside the first
one?  what does lba, normal and large mean in the bios setup, do these
have anything to do with me not being able to boot from the other
drives?

sigh. if i only did not need windows95 all would be fine. but i can't.

any help would be greatley appreciated.

Thanks for everyones time.

Tracy Phillips
tphilips@cedar.netten.net