Date:      Fri, 24 Feb 2006 00:05:27 +0000
From:      Adam Retter <adam@adamretter.eclipse.co.uk>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   device atapicam - causes huge slowdown

Hi Chaps I am tracking 6-STABLE,

FreeBSD funkalicious.home.dom 6.1-PRERELEASE FreeBSD 6.1-PRERELEASE #8:
Thu Feb 23 23:24:57 GMT 2006
root@funkalicious.home.dom:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/funkalicious  i386

I have a fairly straight-forward kernel config (see below) I think, yet
if I enable "device atapicam", and buildkernel and installkernel and
reboot, the system starts up fine until it get's to finding disks and
then it goes incredibly slowly, takes about 5 minutes to get to
"harvesting interupts" and so on and so on, I think it will eventually
get to the login prompt, but I havent been tolerant to wait that long
>15 minutes.

Are there known problems with atapicam? or conditions under which it
causes a massive system slow down, some sort of conflict timeout or loop
problem maybe?

My System is -

Intel Pentium IV 3.2GHz
MSI 848P-Neo Motherboard
2GB DDR RAM (2x1GB)
1 x 120GB Maxtor SATA Hard Disk
HighPoint Tech RocketRaid 1640 RAID5 Card (with 3 x 250GB Maxtor SATA
Hard Disks attached)
NVIDIA GeForce 6800LE 256MB

I have tried booting the system with and without the HighPoint RAID
Driver (hpt374.ko = http://www.highpoint-tech.com/USA/bios_rr1640.htm)
loaded and it seems to make no difference.

If I dont use "device atapicam" the system is perfect, but I could
really do with enabling it, for CD/DVD writting purposes...

Thanks Adam.

#############
Kernel config
#############

makeoptions	COPTFLAGS="-O2 -pipe -funroll-loops -ffast-math"

machine		i386
cpu		I686_CPU
ident		funkalicious

options 	SCHED_4BSD		# 4BSD scheduler
#options	SCHED_ULE		# ULE scheduler
options		PREEMPTION		# Enable kernel thread preemption

options 	INET			# InterNETworking
options 	FFS			# Berkeley Fast Filesystem
options 	SOFTUPDATES		# Enable FFS soft updates support
options 	UFS_ACL			# Support for access control lists
options 	UFS_DIRHASH		# Improve performance on big directories
options 	MSDOSFS			# MSDOS Filesystem
options 	CD9660			# ISO 9660 Filesystem
options 	PROCFS			# Process filesystem (requires PSEUDOFS)
options 	PSEUDOFS		# Pseudo-filesystem framework
options 	GEOM_GPT		# GUID Partition Tables.
options 	COMPAT_43		# Compatible with BSD 4.3 [KEEP THIS!]
options 	COMPAT_FREEBSD4		# Compatible with FreeBSD4
options		COMPAT_FREEBSD5		# Compatible with FreeBSD5
options 	SCSI_DELAY=5000		# Delay (in ms) before probing SCSI
options 	SYSVSHM			# SYSV-style shared memory
options 	SYSVMSG			# SYSV-style message queues
options 	SYSVSEM			# SYSV-style semaphores
options 	_KPOSIX_PRIORITY_SCHEDULING # POSIX P1003_1B real-time
extensions
options 	ADAPTIVE_GIANT		# Giant mutex is adaptive.

device		apic		# I/O APIC

# Bus support.
device		eisa
device		pci

# Floppy drives
device		fdc

# ATA and ATAPI devices
device		ata
device		atadisk		# ATA disk drives
device		ataraid		# ATA RAID drives
device		atapicd		# ATAPI CDROM drives
options 	ATA_STATIC_ID	# Static device numbering

# ATAPI -> SCSI Interface, mainly for cdrecord
#device		atapicam	# causes boot problems?!? (huge system slow down)

# SCSI peripherals
device		scbus		# SCSI bus (required for SCSI)
device		da		# Direct Access (disks)
device		pass		# Passthrough device (direct SCSI access)
device		ses		# SCSI Environmental Services (and SAF-TE)
device		cd		# CD

# atkbdc0 controls both the keyboard and the PS/2 mouse
device		atkbdc		# AT keyboard controller
device		atkbd		# AT keyboard
device		psm		# PS/2 mouse

device		vga		# VGA video card driver

device		splash		# Splash screen and screen saver support

# syscons is the default console driver, resembling an SCO console
device		sc

# Enable this for the pcvt (VT220 compatible) console driver
#device		vt
#options 	XSERVER		# support for X server on a vt console
#options 	FAT_CURSOR	# start with block cursor

#Disabled so we use nvidias own agp driver
#device		agp		# support several AGP chipsets

# Floating point support - do not disable.
device		npx

# Add suspend/resume support for the i8254.
device		pmtimer

# Serial (COM) ports
device		sio		# 8250, 16[45]50 based serial ports

# Parallel port
device		ppc
device		ppbus		# Parallel port bus (required)
device		lpt		# Printer
device		ppi		# Parallel port interface device

# PCI Ethernet NICs that use the common MII bus controller code.
# NOTE: Be sure to keep the 'device miibus' line in order to use these
NICs!
device		miibus		# MII bus support
device		rl		# RealTek 8129/8139

# Pseudo devices.
device		loop		# Network loopback
device		mem		# Memory and kernel memory devices
device		io		# I/O device
device		random		# Entropy device
device		ether		# Ethernet support
device		pty		# Pseudo-ttys (telnet etc)
device		tun		# Packet Tunnel. (needed for qemu!)

device		bpf		# Berkeley Packaet Filter (Needed for DHCP Client)

# USB support
device		ehci		# EHCI PCI->USB2 interface
device		uhci		# UHCI PCI->USB interface
device		usb		# USB Bus (required)
#device		udbp		# USB Double Bulk Pipe devices
device		ugen		# Generic
device		uhid		# "Human Interface Devices"
device		umass		# Disks/Mass storage - Requires scbus and da

# Sound Support
device sound
device "snd_ich"

#D-Link USB Radio Support