Date:      Fri, 22 Apr 2011 18:28:06 -0700
From:      Julian Elischer <julian@freebsd.org>
To:        FreeBSD Current <current@freebsd.org>
Subject:   bsd/linux  ioctl.

So at work (fusion-io)  we have a driver that runs on lots of OS,
including FreeBSD
(hint: ask your fio sales rep, it's not on the website!).

But as usual the BSD way of doing the copy in and out of user space
caused lots of grief.
Then suddenly I heard it was solved and I thought nothing more of it..

The following comment comes from the FreeBSD 'wrapper' in the driver,
talking about the ioctl code..

  /* Define dir as void in FreeBSD to prevent    */
  /* kernel from copying ioctl arguments in and  */
  /* out automatically. The driver expects to    */
  /* deal with copying itself. We also need to   */
  /* specify zero as a argument size to force    */
  /* generic IOCL code in kernel pointer to give */
  /* us the raw userland pointer unchanged.      */

So I never actually read this code before so my first reaction
was "hmm that's neat, a cool workaround for people who want linux
or SysV compat ioctl behavior"

So my first question is "is this hack commonly known?"
and secondly "should we clean it up and put it in an ioctl(9) man page?"

We should probably have such a page.  Do we have a driver porter's
handbook?
a quick look failed to find any mention of this in any documentation.

Looking at ioctl we can see how this works:

Also see that because we force the size to be 0 or sizeof(int),
the driver has to know the size and can not do a size based version
check as is sometimes done.

It seems a pity to force the size and direction information to be lost.
is it really necessary? It seems to me that we could still allow current
behaviour but allow this information through by testing for IOC_VOID
in a few more places
and switching some of the tests around a bit..

from ioctl()

     size = IOCPARM_LEN(com);
         if ((size > IOCPARM_MAX) ||
             ((com & (IOC_VOID  | IOC_IN | IOC_OUT)) == 0) ||
#if defined(COMPAT_FREEBSD5) || defined(COMPAT_FREEBSD4) ||
defined(COMPAT_43)
             ((com & IOC_OUT) && size == 0) ||
#else
             ((com & (IOC_IN | IOC_OUT)) && size == 0) ||
#endif
             ((com & IOC_VOID) && size > 0 && size != sizeof(int)))
                 return (ENOTTY);

         if (size > 0) {
                 if (com & IOC_VOID) {
                         /* Integer argument. */
                         arg = (intptr_t)uap->data;
                         data = (void *)&arg;
                         size = 0;
                 } else
                         data = malloc((u_long)size, M_IOCTLOPS,
M_WAITOK);
         } else
                 data = (void *)&uap->data;
         if (com & IOC_IN) {
                 error = copyin(uap->data, data, (u_int)size);
                 if (error) {
                         if (size > 0)
                                 free(data, M_IOCTLOPS);
                         return (error);