Date:      Thu, 28 Jan 1999 05:38:42 -0400 (AST)
From:      The Hermit Hacker <scrappy@hub.org>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>
Cc:        Michael Robinson <robinson@netrinsics.com>, stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: When to transition to 3.0-STABLE.. NOT NOW!

On Thu, 28 Jan 1999, Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:

> > Too, late, unfortunately.  I guess I've been spoiled after all these years,
> > and mistakenly assumed that when something had a "STABLE" label on it, it
> > was, well, stable.
>
> Just to clarify this - it IS stable.  If you took a brand new box
> today and installed 3.0S on it, it would run just fine.  There is
> nothing wrong with the bits.
>
> It is UPGRADING from a.out systems which still presents a new problem,
> one which we've never had to deal with before, and I think folks are
> just not adequately taking this into account.

Tonight, with much trepidation, I ran 'make upgrade NOCONFIRM=YES', and
was most impressed...but I went from 3.0-RELEASE(aout) to 3.0-STABLE(elf),
and already had all the da0 drive mappings done already...

If you want a 'commercial' example of doing a system upgrade, try going
from a Solaris 2.5.x and earlier system to Solaris 2.6 ... disk space
requirements, for some reason, jumped when solaris 2.6 (minimums), but
they distributed an option to 're-size' your file systems...that I've yet
to get to work.  So, instead, you back it all up, wipe everything out and
re-install from scratch.

Quite frankly, in light of everything that could have gone wrong...none of
it did.  I still have one last, outstanding, elf-related problem that I
posted earlier, but, other then that, the 3.0S system appears to be
purring along quite nicely...

Marc G. Fournier
Systems Administrator @ hub.org