Date:      Thu, 30 Oct 1997 19:26:40 -0600
From:      dkelly@hiwaay.net
To:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD: Turning PCs into Workstations

Chuck Robey  writes:

> I'm going to show my personal prejudice here, so I am willing to get
> laughed at for it.  I picked FreeBSD originally because it cared (it
> seemed to me) more about standards.  That both from a point of not making
> gratuitous changes just for grins, and because of the traceability of the
> BSD software.  That seems to be at least ONE selling point, and it's one
> that most other free OSs can't compete with.
>
> With that in mind, .... "Staying Standard with FreeBSD" huh?

Getting there. I think the FreeBSD strong points are (not in any
particular order)

* Tradition. It does what the Unix books say. It runs the way you
  expect.

* Reliability. Probably largely due to the traceability of its source
  code tree and revisions using automated tools (CVS).

As a side note, we got a good laugh at work today, and a whole new
respect for FreeBSD. Had never tried Netscape and Afterdark on an 8MB
486/66 before. Swap swap swap swap. But it worked. And was usable if
you didn't mind waiting for code to swap in every time you pulled down
a menu.
--
David Kelly N4HHE, dkelly@hiwaay.net